Saturday, June 16, 2007

There is a God

Of course, I knew that already. I am confident that He exists. It's just that the news that Mike Nifong was disbarred today has put me in an especially expansive mood. I abhor all forms of official misconduct, but I especially abhor prosecutorial misconduct. An overly zealous, say, health inspector might succeed in separating Joe Businessman from money he didn't want to spend, but an overly zealous prosecutor can do much more harm. It's not about money. It's about liberty and sometimes life. A prosecutor's first duty isn't to ensure that law enforcement's most likely suspects go to jail or to represent victims' interests. Nope, it's to finding the truth and representing the people's interest in maintaining an effective but fair judicial system. And in these respects, Mr. Nifong grossly failed the people of North Carolina. Being an attorney is a privilege that he no longer deserves. So he's not one anymore. Good.

No comments: