Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sing Along with Julie

Ever since I first sat spellbound in Mary Poppins over 40 years ago, Julie Andrews has been one of my favorite singer-actresses. Recently, Miss Andrews, who is celebrating her 69th birthday, appeared on National Public Radio and sang the following. As someone who just turned 50, it resonates with me, too, a little more than I'd like to admit (or is 50 the new 30? 35?). Anyway, everyone together now, to the tune of My Favorite Things:

Maalox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Cadillacs and cataracts, and hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the pipes leak, when the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favorite things.

When the joints ache, when the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great! One of my social work professors used to talk about getting up in the morning and putting on her senses (glasses, hearing aids....)
Your newest photo looks lovely! Want to meet some Thursday for lunch? ~sb