Thursday, March 20, 2008

More influence from The Great Beyond?


I love what my friend Lorrie at Clueless in Carolina has done with the Eliot Spitzer story. Reading her post was what we in one of my adoption e-groups call a "spitting coffee at the monitor" moment. Great job, Lorrie!

Now, with tongue firmly in check, let me share my slightly different take on the matter. As you already know, I think Daddy has thrown not one, but two Super Bowls from the Great Beyond, and he's probably sitting up there right now cackling with his buddies making plans to get the Big Orange into the Final Four. But he's not the only mischief-maker there.

Last week, I was talking with someone who lost her husband of many years last summer. I knew that said husband had been an attorney, though I never knew him personally and wasn't aware of his practice area. Out of the blue, she said, "If I believed in an afterlife, I'd swear someone was getting even." "Whaddya mean?" I asked. She went on to explain that her husband had represented some of the very organizations Spitzer persecu-, I mean, prosecuted (not the prostitution rings, the Wall Street targets). She explained that Spitzer had been (at least in my opinion) ethically-challenged in dealing with the defense. This, of course, is no secret -- it was fairly obvious from the press at the time that he was quite the crusading prosecutor. And now all this extracurricular activity came to light, only a few months after her beloved spouse had passed on. Why, it was almost enough to make a Believer out of her!

Am I surprised by it all? Of course not. While it's unlikely that my friend's late husband (or my Daddy) are exercising any undue influence, as the Bible says, we reap what we sow. I'm not defending "innocent" ladies of the evening or Wall Street swindlers here, but it seems that like a lot of crusading types, Spitzer had a dirty little secret.

No comments: